Location: Hudson River Greenway, New York, NY 10024 If you’re coming from Riverside Ave., you’ll need to access via the stone-steps between 87th and 88th Sts.
- Monitor, control and accompany your dog at all times.
- No dogs in heat. Closely monitor non-neutered males as other males may react aggressively toward them.
- Prong, choke and spike collars may not be worn
- Dogs involved in a fight must leave the run until all parties calm down.
- Discourage barking, especially early morning and late evening.
- Children under 10 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Dogs must be licensed, vaccinated against rabies and free from all communicable diseases.
- Use caution when bringing food into the run. No glass containers allowed.
- If your dog digs holes, fill it in before you leave.
Hours: The park closes at 11 p.m.
Description: Located off of 87th St. and Riverside Ave. in the long expanse of Riverside Park, the 87th Street Dog Run is entirely community funded & maintained and receives no funding from the city. The run has granite gravel ground cover, and has separate fenced-in areas to segregate large and small dogs. There is a watering area, cleaning equipment and wash tub available. They also have poop-bag dispensers and plenty of waste bins for disposal. This is one of the larger runs in the city and is unique in its ground cover.
REVIEW BY DUSTY BLUE: At first I thought I had been here before because the location and layout reminded me so much of The Rocky Run at Fort Washington Park. But instead of the usual cedar-chip ground cover, this place has very fine gravel (granite) which doesn’t stick to my paws and make them dirty. 87th Street Dog Run is very well kept and it has enough trees to keep me happy sniffing and peeing on them. My owner parked up on Riverside Ave., and we had a hard time finding the entrance to the run until we followed our ears and heard the barks and whines of other dogs. This place is a decent size, but even though it has a separated area for large and smaller dogs, I didn’t go in the small section because it was actually too small for me. I’m 24 lbs. and this section seems more for the size of dogs like Chihuahuas and tea cup poodles, I think!