Location: Haven Ave. & W. 173rd St., New York, NY 10032
- New York State law requires that dogs be vaccinated against rabies, and the New York City Health Code requires every dog owner/attendant carry with them proof of current dog license and rabies vaccination while in public. Dog owners may be fined for violation of these laws. To obtain an application for a dog license, please visit the New York City Department of Health website , or call 311. You may also obtain an application from a veterinarian, animal shelter, or pet shop.
- Dogs must be on a leash (no more than six feet long) at all times, except in dog runs and designated off-leash areas at the prescribed times.
- You must pick up after your dog and dispose of the waste in containers provided throughout the park.
- You must prevent your dog from chasing birds, squirrels, and other animals.
- Dogs are not permitted in playgrounds, zoos, fountains, ball fields, on basketball/handball/tennis courts, in swimming pools/facilities, bathing areas, and New York City beaches.
Hours: Park closes at 11 p.m.
Description: J. Hood Wright Park is maintained by the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation and is located between Fort Washington and Haven Ave., and between West 173rd and 176th Streets in the Washington Heights neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City. The 6.7 acres park includes a playground – which features a model of the nearby George Washington Bridge (which is also visible from the park) — basketball courts, ballfields, and a recreation center, as well as a dog run. The fully-fenced in dog run has gravel ground cover, bench seating with a shaded alcove, poop-bag dispensers and waste bins. There is a watering area, but the water is shut off after Labor Day. The run is well-maintained and landscaped.
REVIEW BY DUSTY BLUE: This dog run was nice and clean and I met some nice smaller dogs here. There are trees in the run but they are in planters so I couldn’t reach them to sniff and pee on. This might be a cramped run for larger dogs because it was even a little cramped for me and I’m only 24 lbs.