Location: Avenue A & E 7th St, New York, NY 10014
- Monitor, control and accompany your dog at all times.
- No dogs in heat. Closely monitor non-neutered males as other males may react aggressively toward them.
- Prong, choke and spike collars may not be worn
- Dogs involved in a fight must leave the run until all parties calm down.
- Discourage barking, especially early morning and late evening.
- Children under 10 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Dogs must be licensed, vaccinated against rabies and free from all communicable diseases.
- Use caution when bringing food into the run. No glass containers allowed.
- If your dog digs holes, fill it in before you leave.
Hours: The park closes at 1 a.m.
Description: Tompkins Square Park is a 10.5-acre public park in the Alphabet City section of East Village, Manhattan. The square-shaped park, bordered on the north by East 10th Street, on the east by Avenue B, on the south by East 7th Street, and on the west by Avenue A, is abutted by St. Marks Place to the west. The park is home to First Runner Dog Run just off of Avenue B and 9th Street. The run features separate fenced-in areas for large and small dogs (specifically 24 lbs. and under), a watering area, dirt & gravel ground cover, and a unique boardwalk-style seating area in the small-dog section. Bench seating, cleaning equipment, poop bags and waste bins are also available.
REVIEW BY DUSTY BLUE: I didn’t think I was going to like this place because of it’s location deep in the city, but this is a pretty cool and unique dog park. There is plenty of room and I met some very friendly larger dogs. I went into the small-dog section at first and walked around the little boardwalk area they have there. Never seen anything like that in a dog run. And then (because sometimes I do tip the scale a little past 24 lbs.) I went into the larger, big dog section and met some very friendly mixed-breed dogs. They fenced out all of the trees, so I wasn’t happy that I had no trees to sniff and mark up, but this place was a nice surprise.